Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Movement, wolves and perspective

I had a super productive sketch session today.  I tried the Pomodoro Method, which is where you are productive in bursts of 25 minutes, with 5 minute breaks in between.  After four 25 minute sessions, you may take a 20-30 minute break, and go back to it.  The more pomodoros you do, the longer your breaks may become.  I find it very conducive to getting work done as it breaks it down into bite sized chunks.  Knowing I don't have to work longer than 25 minutes at a time makes my ADD less likely to fire off and distract me.

Today was a potluck with some figures in motion, which made me extremely excited because I felt like it was a huge milestone for me to pass to finally bring my creations to life, albeit awkwardly.  Andrew Loomis states it's better to draw with motion and expression than accuracy, so I decided to just throw caution to the wind and let it go.

I have a book about wolves and I decided to try something different and draw from some photographs.  The results were mixed.  The smaller wolves look pretty good, but I'm not pleased with the big portrait.  I decided to scan in the reference of the big wolf so you can see just how mangled my interpretation was.  Ah well, gotta try right?

Also did a perspective with some failed lighting.  Bah.  I gotta really work on that.

Overall though, today was a fantastic day and I feel like I'm improving!













No comments:

Post a Comment